Late Breaking News!!!
Chief Apiary Inspector Kim Skyrm has asked us to let everyone know that they are welcome to bring bee samples for Nosema analysis during the MDAR workshop. She also said that whatever samples they do not get around to analyzing during the workshop will be sent to Beltsville so they will definitely be able to get some data on their own sample.
How to Collect Adult Honey Bees for Nosema Analysis:
• Collect at least 100 bees and if possible, select bees that are dying or that died recently.
• Decayed bees are not satisfactory for examination.
• Bees should be placed in and soaked with 70% ethyl, methyl, or isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible after collection and packed in leak-proof containers.
• Beekeepers should label containers with their Name and Email Address or Mailing Address.
If this is not possible, bring what you can and they will at least confirm presence/absence of Nosema.
The Massachusetts Beekeepers Association is holding our annual FIELD DAY on Saturday, June 15, 2019. The event is hosted by Franklin County Beekeepers Association. The theme of this year’s Field Day is Expanding Your Bee Awareness – What to Look for in Your Hives. The event is free and open to all.
We are returning to The UMASS Agricultural Learning Center at 911 North Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA.
Follow the Yellow Bee Signs!!!
The AGRICULTURAL CENTER is a 70 acre “Living Classroom” located on the UMASS Amherst campus. The facility hosts the State’s (MDAR) and UMASS research Apiaries and features Fruit / Vegetable, Vineyard, Landscaping designs and Pollination Gardens. We ask that ALL bring your veil for protection. Free Parking on site.
Place your orders with your favorite vendor and enjoy FREE SHIPPING. Better Bee, Mann Lake, Starhart Hollow, Slovenian Beekeeping, Nature’s Own Design Apiary Products (NOD), Bee Wear Clothing, a Glassblower and Artists will exhibit in the open area located adjacent to the main tent where everyone meets. Chris Hewitt and Lynn White of Richland Honey Bees of Virginia, members of the Russian Honeybee Breeders Association will share their experiences. Morning Coffee / Muffins and a $10 Catered Barbeque lunch will be available. Please pre-register for Lunch below.
Mass Bee Field Day is FREE to All
- Registration begins at 8:30
- Welcome Announcements 9:00 — 9:30 am
- First Session 9:45 — 10:45 am
- Second Session 11:00 — 12:00 pm
- LUNCH 12:00 – 1:30 pm
- Smoker Contest
- Win Great Vendor Prizes in Our Raffle
- Third Session 1:30 – 2:30 pm Fourth Session 2:45 – 3:45 pm
If you are interested in presenting please contact Dan Conlon of Warm Colors Apiary at email@example.com .