MASS BEE FALL MEETING
October 22nd and 23rd
- Worcester County Beekeepers Association
- Hampden County Beekeepers
- Massachusetts Beekeepers Association
Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center:
366 Main St., Sturbridge MA 01566
Dr. Thomas D. Seeley is the Horace White Professor in Biology at Cornell University. He is based in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, where he teaches courses on animal behavior and does research on the behavior and social life of honey bees. His work is summarized in three books: Honeybee Ecology (1985), The Wisdom of the Hive (1995), and Honeybee Democracy (2010).
Dr. Jennifer Tsuruda is an Assistant Professor and Apiculture Extension Specialist with interests in bee health and management. She has worked on associations between foraging behavior, sensory responsiveness, and reproductive physiology in honey bees, as well as breeding for and genetically mapping behavioral resistance against parasite Varroa Mites.
Dr. Kim Skyrm is the MA State Apiarist/Chief Apiary Inspector of the MA Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) and is the current President of the Apiary Inspectors of America (AIA). Kim is a scientist by training and a hobby beekeeper driven by an intense love of bees. Kim will present the latest Massachusetts Beekeeping inspection statistics.
We will also be honoring Ken Warchol on his retirement after 45 years as a Massachusetts State Apiary Inspector. Ken has published his first book this year, The History of the Worcester County Beekeepers dating back to 1900.
The traditional Mass Bee Honey, Wax, Mead & Beer and Cooking competitions will be held. For details please see the Honey, Wax, Mead & Beer Show Rules, Cooking Competition Rules and the Entry Form documents.
The 2021 MA State Honey Bee Queen/Ambassador will be announced.
Door Prizes will be awarded, and you can purchase tickets to participate in the raffle.
Don’t forget to check in with the vendors for all your beekeeping supplies needs: Better Bee, Mann Lake, Starhart Hollow, and Union Bee Company. Place your order in advance and pick up your order at the meeting to avoid shipping.
FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER AND PRESENTATION:
- Friday October 22, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
- Friday admission is $30.00 per person and includes dinner and speaker.
- Friday night dinner buffet will include a selection of appetizers, entrée selections, dessert and coffee or tea.
- Saturday October 23, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Saturday admission is $20.00 per person and includes lunch and
- Saturday lunch buffet will include a selection of appetizers, sandwiches,
chips and dessert.
- Stay overnight for a special beekeeper price of $119.00 (if booked in advance).
- Reservations can be made directly with the Sturbridge Host.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED:
REGISTRATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 8, 2021
(Registration and/or payment will not be allowed on the day of the Event.)